You need to keep an up-to-date and accurate record of the following activities.
- The names and addresses of all the employees you’ve enrolled.
- Records of when you paid contributions into the Scheme.
- Employee opt-in and joiner notices.
- Your pension scheme reference or registration numbers.
- Information you’ve sent to us, as your workplace pension provider.
It’s important to keep these records in an easily-accessible format so you can prove to The Pensions Regulator, if asked, that you’ve met your auto enrolment duties. If you outsource your payroll management to an external provider, they must keep these records up to date and accurate for you. But you’re still legally responsible for ensuring these records are kept.
How long do I need to keep these records for?
You must keep your pension scheme reference or registration numbers, as well as any data you send to us, for six years. You need to keep your opt-out notices for four years.