A pay code is a four digit code that allows you to identify one payroll from another. If you need to add a new pay code to your portal, please use the following pointers to help you create a pay code(s) that is useful to you.
A pay code
- Must contain four characters
- Must be alphanumeric (i.e. can contain only letters and/or numbers)
- Is case sensitive
If you need to add a payroll, then set the pay code to the next number in the sequence e.g. P00x.
- P001 for monthly payrolls
- P002 for weekly payrolls
- P003 for temporary/casual staff
- P004 for permanent staff
- P005 – office based in London
- P006 – office based in Manchester
You will need to input this code when setting up your payroll and uploading each payroll file.
The pay code is referred to in the NOW: File Format as the PAYCODE.
More information can be found in the employer pensions portal guide (step 4).