Your Gateway employer website is where you upload your pension data files (the generic input file) – CSV files with information about your employees – to support the administration of your workplace pension. Before you can upload your first file there are a few steps you’ll need to follow, which will take about 30-45 minutes.
The key to your workplace pension running smoothly is providing accurate and up-to-date data from your payroll system.
First, before your duties start date, contact your payroll provider to let them know you’ve chosen NOW: Pensions as your auto enrolment provider.
Then, check your payroll provider can produce the CSV files – the pension data files/generic input files – in the correct format. If not, you may need to work with them to ensure the data can be produced in the correct format.
Here are a few points to remember.
- NOW: Pensions operates a net pay scheme where contributions are deducted from employee’s gross (before tax) pay. You’ll need to make sure your system is set up to do this.
- If you’re using postponement, remember to include the date your postponement ends in your pension data file.
Once you’ve set up your employer website, you’ll need to enter the following information into your payroll software.
- Your Employer Code (also known as a Company Code) – this will be pre-populated in the Employer Details section of your employer website.
- Your Payroll Codes – you’ll need to set up a separate code for each payroll you have.
Around two working days after we approve your application, we’ll send three emails to your appointed payroll contact.
- A unique link to your employer website.
- A separate email with your password.
- Another email to guide you through the tasks that you need to complete, such as initial set-up of your website, preparing your pension data file, uploading pension data, making payments for Scheme members and keeping the website up to date.
First, log in to your Gateway employer system using the login name and password details in the emails you received. When you first log in, you’ll be asked to change the password. Please remember, only click the save button once, as double clicking invalidates the new password.
- Your initial login name is the email address of your primary payroll contact.
- Your initial password is the email address of your primary contact.
Choose your contribution model (Scheme tier)
We offer a range of contribution models (Scheme tiers) designed for the needs of different employers, from a simple low-cost plan that meets minimum requirements to more generous plans.
Verify your company details
When you’ve logged in, click on ‘Company Details’ on the left-hand menu, and check all your details are correct. This page shows the information you provided during the application process.
Confirm whether you want us to send communications
- Next, tick the box if you want us to send out statutory auto enrolment communications to your employees. Sending these by email is included in our charges.
- We can send them to your employees on your behalf, but you will need up-to-date email addresses for all your employees. We’ll also need a central mailbox email address to receive any communications that come back as ‘undeliverable’. You’ll need to put this into the ‘mail box address for emailed PDFs’ text box. Most employers use a generic HR or payroll email address as their central mailbox.
- Or, we can simply send them to your central mailbox for you to pass on to your employees.
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) reference
Add your TPR reference (also known as a letter code). This is a 10-digit number unique to every employer. It begins with a ‘1’. You can find your it on the top right-hand corner of all your letters about auto enrolment from TPR.
Once you have checked all the details, select the save button.
If you can’t find your TPR reference, please contact them on 0845 600 1011 or email them providing the following information:
- employer name
- PAYE scheme reference(s)
- employer address
- your contact details (telephone number, email address, job role).
Create additional logins
If you need other members of staff to access your website, add them now. Click on ‘Admin Login’ on the left-hand menu and fill out the fields.
You should only select ‘Employer’ as the User Role.
You can add more users later.
Add payroll groups
To add a payroll group, go to the Employer settings page:
Scroll down to the payroll information section and click ‘Add payroll’:
Enter the display name for the payroll group, its frequency and click ‘Apply’:
As contributions are collected according to payroll group, you’ll need to download a Direct Debit form. Print out the instruction form, complete it (ensuring it’s signed and dated correctly) and email it to us at email@example.com.
Note that the status is set to ‘Pending’. You won’t be able to upload a pension data file for this new payroll group until we’ve received the Direct Debit form.
Checking your Statement of account, Direct Debit and contributions history
Go to the Employer payroll page. You can see all the contribution-based information there:
Click through these options to get more detailed information. Remember that contributions are only collected once employees are out of their opt-out window (you can see this information by clicking on ‘Amount reserved for opt outs’ above).