Legal Counsel

Job Reference NumberNP60
Position StatusFull-time, Permanent

NOW: Pensions is looking for a Legal Counsel to join our Legal team on a permanent basis. It’s an exciting time to be joining NOW: Pensions as we are entering the next phase of our journey looking at how we change the face of the pensions industry.

This is a rare opportunity for a mid-level qualified solicitor to provide commercial and strategic legal advice to all levels of an entrepreneurial and fast-growing business.

Role and Responsibilities

The successful candidate will be responsible for (this list is not exhaustive):

  • Taking a leading role in providing data protection advice to the business
  • Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements with clients and suppliers, including IT, marketing, consultancy and outsourcing contracts
  • Advising the business about its contractual rights and obligations
  • Managing and protecting the company’s IP catalogue
  • Responding to complex queries from the business, suppliers and customers
  • Reviewing and approving advertisements, press-releases and other promotional materials
  • Working closely with the Director of Legal and Compliance to provide timely and first-class legal support
  • Assisting with litigious matters
  • Assisting with company secretarial and governance duties
  • Helping to manage the use and cost of external legal counsel
  • Ensure NOW: Pensions fulfils its obligations and is compliant with the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), The Pensions Regulator and Financial Conduct Authority

Communication and Relationships

You will be required to build relationships and communicate effectively with the business, its external clients and law firms whilst ensuring you follow the best practice standards set out by the Director of Legal, Risk and Governance at all times.

Management of Risk and Compliance

You will need to demonstrate adherence to external and internal risks, compliance, regulatory and legal standards are met and actively follow all relevant procedures, mandatory training requirements and keeping appropriate records.

Skills and Experience

Essential Skills:

  • Excellent communication, presentation and inter-personal skills
  • Effective team-player
  • Ability to work effectively under pressure
  • Honesty and integrity
  • Flexible approach, ability and enthusiasm to take on new tasks
  • High degree of commercial awareness and business acumen


  • You will ideally be 2 – 4 years PQE*.
  • Prior knowledge and experience of pensions law/issues is not a requirement as this is a predominantly commercial role, although an aptitude and enthusiasm to learn and gain experience is essential.
  • You will be able to work autonomously and have excellent attention to detail to take on a varied workload.

*The PQE indicated in this advertisement is intended as a guide only and does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE.


Amongst other benefits we offer the following:

  • Competitive Basic Salary
  • Discretionary Bonus Scheme
  • Contributory pension scheme (5% Employee / 10% Employer (total 15%))
  • 25 days Annual Leave (plus the eight Bank Holidays in England and Wales)
  • Private Healthcare
  • Life Insurance

Privacy Statement

By submitting your application, you consent to NOW: Pensions Ltd (“NOW: Pensions”) processing your personal data including, where applicable, sensitive personal data to consider your suitability for employment with NOW: Pensions. You can withdraw your application and the consent for processing your personal data at any time. Your personal data will be retained by us only for so long as is necessary to consider your application. If you are successful in the recruitment process, depending on the role that you have applied for, we may need to undertake screening checks on you and may need to pass your personal data to a third party. We will seek your permission before we do this. If you are successful and become an employee of NOW: Pensions, your personal data may become a part of your personnel file. For further information on how NOW: Pensions processes your personal data and on your rights in respect of the data, please visit:

To apply for this vacancy please email your CV to referencing job number NP60.